about the BC program:
1. Basic Information about BSCIS/Bunsugi Double Diploma Course
- Students can get both a Japanese and Canadian high school diploma.
- Students can experience Canadian/Western-based education even though they are in Japan.
- All the students are registered in British Columbia as BC high school students as well as Japanese Bunsugi students.
2. About BC Curriculum
- Top five-ten educational Programs in the world (PISA, 2008).
- All the classes of BSCIS are done in English.
- Far more than cramming to obtain a passing score on a one-time test that assesses a limited use of English.
- All BSICS teachers are British Columbia, Canada certified.
- Focusing on higher-order thinking skills (Bloom’ s Taxonomy).
- Incorporating a wide range of Western teaching strategies and learning experiences.
- learning activities such as creative writing, research skills, problem-solving skills, group work, oral presentation, …
- Annual Inspection by BC MOE ensures the quality of BC education.
3. The BC Dogwood Diploma
- The BC graduation program is a 3-year program leading to the award of the Dogwood Diploma. The Dogwood Diploma is recognized by universities throughout the world. Universities in the West evaluate the students based on their Grade 12 course marks. The marks are a combination of exams and course work.
- As part of the BC program we will offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses in Grade 12. AP is a special program accepted by top universities for gaining points for admission and/or exempted pre-requisites for 1st year courses and/or direct placement into the 2nd year university courses (e.g. University of Toronto (ranked #20), University of Tokyo (#23), University of British Columbia (#32)).The BC Ministry of Education will send students’ transcripts directly to universities to ensure a smooth process.
4. Application and Success at Western Universities or Japanese universities
Comparison between BSCIS students and other Japanese students:
- BSCIS students will have already experienced the same type of teaching style, learning activities (creative writing, problem-solving skills etc.) and expectations that students encounter in Western university classrooms.→ BSCIS English immersion data indicates a better indicator of university success.
- ◆2018 Pass result
- The University of British Columbia: 2 students / Utrecht University / University of Groningen
- English skills (All the classes of BC curriculum are done in English)
- We are in discussion with some universities in Japan, to admit BSCIS students with the special “recommendation” exam.
- Important: Japanese Universities are now trying to change their admission system: they are conducting examinations that measure
applicants’ knowledge and comprehension right now, but in five years (in 2020), new tests will be developed to measure applicants’
critical thinking skills as well. So, this BC program will be useful even if you think of entering Japanese universities.
- Graduates have been accepted to: IN JAPAN - Tokyo University of Foreign Studies / Waseda University / Sophia University / International Christian University / Rikkyo University; ABROAD - University of British Columbia / University of Groningen / University of Utrecht / Masaryk University / Camosun College / Selkirk College / Yukon College
5. Refund Policy
- There is no extra charge for the application and placement test for acceptance into the BC program. Tuition fees will be charged in four equal payments throughout the year. If students withdraw from the BC program, they are refunded the monthly amount and do not pay the next quarterly installment. Students will welcome to continue in the Bunka Suginami Japanese Program.